Monday, June 29, 2009

Wooden Shoes


They still wear wooden shoes here, but only when they garden. At least that's what my host family does. Mariet is the pharmacist (apotheeker in Dutch) and her husband Ed is a high school manager (principle) and they have two children Jan-Willam who's 19 and Annelie who is 15.


The legal drinking age is 16!! When they go out to the diskotechs they leave at 8pm, stay up all night and return home at 5-6am. They listen to the same music and watch the same movies and TV shows as we do. They do have coffeeshops where it's tolerated to buy and smoke marijuana but it's not socially accepted and very few teenagers and college students actually partake.


They do not have ice here and so I'm drinking very tepid water, which kind of sucks since it's 33^C and very humid!! Oh well, I'm in Europe!!!

3 comments:

  1. Jenny, it is nice to read from you. Seems The Netherlands is already getting to you. To the best of my knowledge, everyone is having a swell of a time at rotations. keep us posted about the differences in practise. My first ??: Have you come across any scheduled drugs and if you have, throw some light on their regulations.

    Best regards, Rudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your rotations are going good, Im in NY, so far so good weathers been sketch, it rains its dingy, sunny, lightning, thunder, humidity sun, very unpredictable. I had first block off so I was out here two weeks early, and I had cousins from London and Canada visit me. We did the whole sight seeing and at night partied at the hottest clubs, better than you'll see in any movie, or TV show. My rotations going good, today was my first day at riteaid, my first rotation, I had block 1 off. It was supposed to be a busy day according to the PIC, but we only did 300 lol, I should say 300 w/my eyes closed. So hows the nightlife? you go out, you make friends? hows your pharmacy that your at?
    HRai

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO ICE?! Do the Dutch not enjoy the occasional martini?? Forget their progressive social culture, controlled medical cost system and effective cross communication among care providers -- no ice, no Jon! :) j/k Good luck and keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete