Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fun in Holland??




I've visited Amsterdam, Utrecht, den Haag and Limburg (south Nederlands) on my weekends here. Amsterdam was amazing and it's too bad that most people only think of coffeeshops and the red light district when you mention this great city. It is rich with history and culture, and, of course, beautiful architecture. I was lucky enough to have my own personal tour guide that could tell me about the canals and city walls - when they were built and why.

I was also taken to den Haag which is where the royal family lives. I saw the parliament buildings, browsed the flea market, went to the MC Escher museum, walked down the street with the posh shops for the royal family and finished the day with a walk on the beach of the North Sea. I think this is where I would live if I had to live in Holland.

Vorden finally got a little exciting this past week with their annual festival. It's a small scale county-fair with rides and games and a beer tent with a band. I've been going the past few nights and meeting a lot of cool and fun people. I even got to hang out with one of the bands and they played a few American songs for me (Nirvana and AC/DC) - pretty cool!

So, all-in-all, I've had a great time in the Netherlands. I finished up my last week in the pharmacy yesterday and said good-bye to all my new friends. Tomorrow I start my own holiday, finally. I'm taking the train from Paris to Rome and stopping at Genoa and Florence for a couple days along the way. Three days in Paris and five days in Rome should be enough to see everything worth seeing I think. I'm doing a wine tasting tour in Tuscany and a tour on a Vespa through the Chianti region while I'm in Florence.

I will try and post a few pictures here and there when an internet cafe pops up if you would like to see a little bit of France and Italy. Hope all is well back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment